Tuesday, December 16, 2008

She did it!! She did it!!

Sammy made it through a complete trim today without having a total meltdown. The front two feet were absolutely awesome. The first back foot was good, and then the last foot. She was anxious, she didn't want to give it to me, she danced just a little, threatened to kick, and with one very loud admonishment she took a deep breath and sighed.

Not only did she give, me her foot but she didn't throw it at me. She gently picked it up and let me hold it. I was SO PROUD!! This is a HUGE accomplishment for her to trust me with all of her feet. She has been building up to this steadily, but until today we have always had to break our trimming sessions up into one or two at a time as she would get anxious.

Some of you will understand how big of an accomplishment this but for those of you who have not worked with a abused horse. This is a big thing for her. She is building trust everyday. Ya'll I really just want to scream from the roof tops!

1 comment:

ezra_pandora said...

My girl was the same way. Don't you love when they finally realize it's easier to just calm down? It took a few trims with a shot to make her doze a little to get her feet done, but the more we worked with her, she started realizeing it wasn't so horrible. I had a pretty few good scraps on my arms and some bruises on my legs in the process, but my mare finally stopped too. I think she kind of likes me picking out her hooves now even.